Thursday, June 13, 2013

Summer of Science

Salutations!



I was going to wait to be on the plane to DC to write my first blog post, but then I visited the Natural Sciences gallery at the Oakland Museum of California.
All I can say is, OMG OMCA!

Of course I'll say more, this is my blog after all...
It was just too beautiful. I had been anticipating the opening of this gallery for a while, and even though it opened June 1, I had not made it out there because I was waiting for the right time. This morning when they posted a picture of a tasty looking sandwich from their Blue Oak cafe, I knew the time had come.
I went straight there, got in free with my American Alliance of Museums (AAM) card, and headed straight for their cafe. I sat at a shady table in the outside patio and reveled for a moment in the fact that I am graduating school in about a week.
So much has happened to me in the past couple years and I am astounded at my progress and growth, we are all ever evolving (ideally) beings of course, but a really profound transitional moment such as a graduation can turn a usually pretty introspective lady such as myself into a really contemplative powerhouse. So I ate my ham & brie sandwich (delicious!),  pickled vegetables and salad with my hands (that is so fun sometimes!) and was finally ready to roll.

The first steps into the gallery filled me with such joy, now, I'll start with the disclaimer that i <3 OMCA, and they can really do no wrong (or at least haven't yet) in my eyes. But seriously, it was so beautiful. I spent like, 15 min in the first two panels and then kinda glided the rest of it knowing that I have to come back at least 12 more times to really soak it all in. When I got to the back of the gallery I sat on one of the rocking chairs on the Yosemite wrap around porch (!) and tried to gather my thoughts about why I loved this museum so much.
I came up with the following list:
  • Touch me Touch me! One of the things I really appreciate about the OMCA's approach is their penchant for engaging kinesthetic learners. They have tons of things you can touch, smell, play with, listen to, all to get you to understand the message they are trying to convey. Just today I smelled cedar, kelp, and pickle weed, created an animated short about Canadian geese flying over a bus, and rocked in a rocking chair on a porch while reading about Yosemite National Park.
  • Creating Connections. They really place an emphasis on making sure the visitor knows that this experience is first, about California, and secondly about them. However you came to California, you are now forever engrained in it's history. I am not even a Californian and I can't help but feel a sense of pride. And that is not an emotion I am too wont to feel either, so good job!
  • Share your POV. All over all the galleries there are little posts set up with prompts that ask you questions about the exhibits. Topics range from share your thoughts about your favorite California trail, to what do you think these specimens smell like, to how do you think we can fix the economy. It is simple, just a post it up on a wall, but the effect is a very powerful one. I take the time to read through the notes and at the same time I understand the community around me better.
  • Artfully Displayed. They really have an aesthetic sensibility that resonates with me, it is accessible, it is comfortable, classy but not pretentious, polished but not pristine. I dig it.



My face was hurting from smiling so much, I chatted with the security guard, a California native, Eliseo (who I had chatted with on past visits) for a minute about how great the new wing was and what I was up to. He was super warm and very interested in my life, which felt really nice. There is something contagious about elation. I lasted a total of two hours, if that, and had to leave. I was overcome with emotion, which is one of the reasons my preferred museum experience is as a solo flyer. I really like setting my own pace and sometimes it happens that I need to leave right away. I headed over to the gift shop and showed them some more $$ love by purchasing a t-shirt and a travel mug ( I needed one! I lost mine!) and a magnet.
Then I walked home around the lake smiling all the way.

Bye for now! Until next time, expect great things!
:)


1 comment:

  1. Ivel, you're the best. I love your energy, and I can't wait to hear about all of the amazing things you're going to do after graduation!

    ReplyDelete